Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Creators: Don Bluth

Creators

A growing list of influential Artists, Writers, Poets, Filmmakers, and Creatives.

Don Bluth

Master of his chosen craft, Don Bluth is the animator responsible for many of my fondest childhood memories of movies.  For all who don't know his work from another's, I'll enlighten you on his signature stuff.

Robin Hood (1973)

His first work for Disney started way back with some assistant work on Sleeping beauty (one of my favorites) and then later he did some major work on two of my favorite disney movies ever.  Robin Hood is up there on my list of great animation, as well as The Rescuers, which he also worked on.  Both were watched a squillion times in my childhood.  

An America Tail (1986)

This one was a frequent watch when i was a kid.  But the part of it that I didn't like is what I think makes it stand out as a great story.  When he loses his family, I always got scared and sad for Fievel, and I think that's strength in a story, when you can make people feel unpleasant emotions for a fictional character.

Fievel Goes West (1991)

The goofy sequel has some heart to it, but is mostly entertaining because Jimmy Stewart plays a burping hound dog.

The Land Before Time (1988)

I watched this movie a zillion times and can occasionally hear ducky saying, "yep yep yep" in the back of my brain.  If you didn't see this one (the first one) I pity your deprived childhood, and if you plan on having kids, be sure to share it (the first one) with them.  Most of Bluth's stories get you involved quickly with the characters and then put them in great peril to up the stakes of your involvement. 

Dragon's Lair (1983)

Without a doubt, the first time I saw this game, it left a big impression on me.  Bluth's Idea for this one was grand: Create an animated videogame that played out like a animated movie, but is based off a player's choices.  I felt so inspired when I played through it, and its an amazing bit of animation anyway, let alone for an arcade game from the 80s. 


I started studying animation anatomy and technique after seeing it.

The sequel was even better.

Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp


Love the piano scene.

Thumbelina (1994)

Thumbelina was watched in my house often thanks to my sister.  This song always hit me where it dances. 

Anastasia (1997)

Anastasia was by far his biggest success, and I have to agree with that, since it is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

And that is Don Bluth in a nutshell.  He did many other great animated movies like The Secret of Nimh and All Dogs go to Heaven, but I stuck to the ones that left an impression on me.  Check out his stuff, you really can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment