Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Creators: Matt Groening

Creators

A growing list of inspirational Artists, Writers, Filmmakers, and Poets.


 Matt Groening

Today for my post on creators I wanted to highlight of my greatest creative influences; Comic artist Matt Groening.  Out of Portland Oregon, he, like me, came from a big family, which, also like me, gave him a lifetime supply of comedic material.
His work in comics started with his comic strip Life in Hell which stared, among other things, demented rabbits and the twins/lovers Akbar and Jeff.  I was actually introduced rather late to his comic work, only discovering it in college.  Probably my favorite Prof of all time, Evan Griffin, included Matt Groening and Gary Larson comics in his Interpersonal Communications curriculum.  I have been hooked since then.
What I love about this comic is of course the writing.  It's a self aware gag-ridden humor that reeks of an affection for irony, self deprecation, and insightful observation.  It flirts with being cynical but it's too damn cheerful to be so.
Oh, Matt, you DO love me!
Oh, Yeah! He also did a little set of shorts on the Tracy Ulman show, though, nothing ever came of it.
Just kidding.  I owe my entire childhood and most of my sense of humor to The Simpsons.  The longest running sitcom has had the best comedy writing since it started.  I love the enormous cast of characters that populate its world and how exquisitely they portray the kinds of people I have come across throughout my travels and tribulations.  So I guess I'm saying I meet alot of dumb people.
I also dug the Arcade game.  Wasted lots of quarters on that baby.
 Oh, and I also love Zoidberg-I mean Futurama
The End... HUZZAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment